Cooking Time: 1 hour at most + 1 hour cooling time
Preheat Oven Temperature: 350 F
Serves how many? 8-10
• Preheat oven to 350ºF
• Butter the cake pan and dust with flour, knocking out excess.
• Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
• Beat together butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
• Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla.
• Add flour mixture and water alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour and mixing just until combined.
• Pour batter into cake pan and bake in middle of oven until springy to the touch and a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 55 minutes to 1 hour.
• Cool in pan 1 hour.
• Invert onto a rack, then turn right side up and dust with confectioners sugar.
Recipe Notes: This recipe comes from Gourmet Magazine, February 2003.
This was a recipe that I tested for a Jr. League Cookbook. While it didn't make the final cut for the cookbook, it made a permanent home in my recipe collection. Excellent tasting cake without being too sweet. Also makes just the right amount for a small group.
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. Lao Tzu (604 BC - 531 BC)
The higher you climb, The more that you see. The more that you see, The less that you know. The less that you know, The more that you yearn. The more that you yearn, The higher you climb. Dan Fogelberg (1951-2007)